A few months ago, I drafted an Alteryx “beginner Alteryx tips and tricks” post, but I never finished it. This week, I’m finishing that post with a combination of simple tricks I wish I had learned sooner and habits I’ve created to drive efficiency and consistency in Alteryx. Read on to learn more.
A user reached out to me asking for help with labels on a feature layer in a map chart. At first, I thought he wasn’t seeing the label, which is a common problem. Actually, he needed help positioning labels on feature layers. It used to be the case that you couldn’t move map chart labels, but that has changed. It is now possible to move labels on feature layers, but it’s not as easy as a right-click. Read on to learn the steps.
Two weeks ago, I wrote this post on how to make workflow development more efficient with user constants. It didn’t take long before I ran into limitations with user constants. But, where user constants failed, the Alteryx Detour tool overcame. Read on to learn how the Alteryx Detour tool can speed up workflow development.
A while ago, I started a series on learning the Spotfire expression language. I made a lot of progress on it but got pulled off on a few side quests. This week, I return to that theme with an explanation of how to use the $esc and $map functions in Spotfire. Knowing how to use these functions will allow you to connect visualizations to property control to provide a more interactive experience for users. It will also give you greater insight into how Spotfire expressions really work. Read on if you want to be able to…
- Create dynamic visualizations that update with changes to property controls.
- Use data limiting with property controls.
In this post, I am going to show you how use Alteryx user constants to speed up development and troubleshooting in your workflows. I learned how to apply user constants from the Altery Virtual Solution Center, which is where you can go to get one on one help with your workflows. This is one of the best pro tips I’ve ever learned about Alteryx. You don’t want to miss this.
Working with multiple scales in Spotfire visualizations can be a bit of a pain. I frequently find I have more scales than I need, and getting them synched up to the same min and max values can be frustrating. Last week, I built a project that allowed users to set multiple scale ranges with document properties. Not only does it give users more control, but it keeps multiple scales synched. It required a little bit of IronPython but was easy to setup. Read on to learn how.
I’m new to most of the Reporting Tools, and I ran into a problem recently where the Alteryx Report Text Tool strips out punctuation. There are two simple solutions to this problem. Read on to learn more.
Yay! I learned to build batch macros this week! I’ve wanted to tackle batch macros for quite some time but I didn’t have any use cases. This week two use cases popped up. In my first use case, I feed a dynamic query with a batch macro. More specifically, I feed a list of wells into the dynamic query. I’ll show you how to do this in blog and video. Read on to learn more.
Despite all of the current chaos, we are getting ready to upgrade our Spotfire installation. I’m a bit sad we are only going from 10.2 to 10.3, but 10.3 is the last LTS version. In performing testing in our dev environment, we ran into errors with data functions using packages. This post will explain how to resolve the error — ‘xyx package’ was built by an R engine with different internals. Read on to learn how to resolve data function errors when upgrading Spotfire.